Syndicated with permission of LifeNews.com3The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) in its submission to the Canadian Institute for Health Research has stated that MAiD (euthanasia) for psychiatric patients should remain illegal.The position of the CMHA is:
As a recovery-oriented organization, CMHA does not believe that mental illnesses are irremediable, though they may be grievous or unbearable.
We recognize that people with mental illnesses can experience unbearable psychological suffering as a result of their illness, but there is always the hope of recovery.
CMHA’s position on medical assistance in dying in Canada, is that people with a mental health problem or illness should be assisted to live and thrive.The CMHA recommended that the government:
1. Support recovery,
2. Continue to invest in community mental health and addiction services and supports,
3. Develop a national suicide prevention strategy,
4. Invest in research to accurately predict and understand the course of illness in mental health and substance abuse.In December 2016 the American Psychiatric Association (APA) decided that in concert with the American Medical Association’s position on medical euthanasia, that a psychiatrist should not prescribe or administer any intervention to a non-terminally ill person for the purpose of causing death.Follow LifeNews.com on Instagram for pro-life pictures.
- American Psychiatric position on euthanasia.
- Suicide is a symptom of mental illness not a cure for it.
- Belgium: Euthanizing the mentally ill.
- Mentally ill OK&8217;d for assisted suicide in California hospitals.
- Killing the mentally ill in the Netherlands.
- Study uncovers concern with the practise of euthanasia and assisted suicide.