Syndicated with permission of LifeNews.com
Another pro-life advocate was assaulted this month on camera outside an abortion facility in Huntsville, Alabama.
The attack is the latest in a growing string of assaults, vandalism and other hostility against people who are standing up for the lives of unborn babies.
Live Action indicates sidewalk counselor Mary Baggett was punched repeatedly by a woman on May 3 outside of the Alabama Women’s Center, an abortion facility in Huntsville.
“The woman who came up to me punched my hands,” Baggett told the pro-life group. “I must have been holding the camera with both hands, ’cause one is bruised pretty bad but the one hand I hold the phone with is hurting too. Then she grabbed my phone and ran to her car. I went after her and demanded she give me the phone back [and she] finally threw it in the grass.”
A video of the incident shows a small group of pro-lifers standing on the sidewalk outside the facility. Two vehicles in the driveway of the abortion facility pull up near the group, and someone begins yelling from one of the vehicles. One of the male pro-lifers responds, and eventually a woman gets out of one of the vehicles and approaches the group.
“I don’t give you permission to record me!” the woman yells repeatedly.
The video shows her swinging her arm at the male pro-life advocate, though it is not clear if she actually touches him. Then, she approaches Baggett, who is recording the incident. The woman can be seen punching Baggett before the camera falls and turns off.
Afterward, Baggett said her hands were bruised and swollen.
“My hands, feet and back are hurting. It could have been worse. Thank You Father for Your protection,” she wrote on Facebook.
Click Like if you are pro-life to like the LifeNews Facebook page and receive the latest pro-life news.
She told Live Action: “The man who was in the first car, who she was with apparently, he came back before the police showed up. I thought he was going to try to harm us so I started taking his picture and telling him the police were on the way. He left in a hurry. I called the police and filed a report.”
It is not clear if police have identified the woman.
LifeNews and other pro-life groups have witnessed an alarming uptick in these type of incidents. This spring, there were at least two additional physical assaults on elderly pro-life advocates in Kentucky and California. The Kentucky incident left a sidewalk counselor with a broken leg that required surgery and rehabilitation.
According to Students for Life of America, pro-life student clubs were victims of more than 50 acts of vandalism this school year.
Last week, Pennsylvania state lawmaker, Rep. Brian Sims, drew national media attention for bullying pro-lifers in his district, including an older woman and three young teenage girls, and offering money for their names and addresses.
Here is the list of incidents LifeNews has observed this year:
- California – Video: Student Destroys Pro-Life Display on Campus (Students for Life)
- Washington state – Police Investigating Arson after Pro-Life Display Set on Fire on Campus (Students for Life)
- North Carolina – Video: Student Charged after Punching Pro-Lifer Repeatedly in the Face
- Pennsylvania – State Lawmaker Berates Pro-Life Woman, Attempts to Doxx Pro-Life Teenage Girls
- California – FBI Arrests Man for Allegedly “Serious” Death Threats against Pro-Life Speaker Ben Shapiro, Family (TMZ)
- Alabama – Abortion Activist Throws Paint inside Alabama House as Lawmakers Vote to Ban Abortion
- Texas – University of Texas Austin Student Pro-Life Materials Stolen, Thrown in the Gutter (Students for Life)
- More Than 50 Pro-Life Student Displays Vandalized This School Year (Students for Life)
- Texas – Abortion Activists Try to Shut Down Pro-Life Speaker With Smokebomb. They Failed
- Washington state – Conservative Student: Man Vandalized Display, Tried to Hit Her With Car Twice (The College Fix)
- Kentucky – Elderly Pro-Life Woman Attacked Outside Abortion Facility, Thighbone Broken
- Illinois – Thief Steals Pro-Life Students’ Display at Southern Illinois University- Edwardsville (Students for Life Blog)
- Texas – Two Pro-Life Republican Lawmakers Under Police Protection After Threats (Dallas News)
- Missouri – Pro-life Speaker Michael Knowles attacked during speech at University of Missouri-Kansas City (Campus Reform)
- California – Pro-Abortion Students Throw Pro-Life Display Into River, Protest Pro-Life Speech With Coat Hangers
- California – WATCH: Planned Parenthood Supporter Brutally Assaults Elderly Pro-Life Volunteer
- Massachusetts – Massachusetts Citizens for Life Receives Suspicious Package, Building Shut Down
- Michigan – Video: Abortion Activists Steal Crosses from Pro-Life Display at University of Michigan
- Massachusetts – Pro-lifer Punched in Face Outside Abortion Facility
- Connecticut – Pro-Life Students’ Display Vandalized at University of Connecticut
- Minnesota – Campus Republican Club Catches Students on Video Tearing Down Pro-Life Fliers (U of Minnesota Morris, via College Fix)
- Australia – Video: Pro-Abortion Students Vandalize Pro-Life Campus Display (LifeChoice Australia)
- England – Police Investigate Violent Attacks on Pro-Life People at Prayer Vigils
- Ohio – Abortion Activists Harass Pro-Life Rape Survivor, Police Called
- California – Abortion Activists Destroy, Steal UCLA Pro-Life Club Signs (Live Action)
- Virginia – Pregnancy Center Vandalized in Politically Motivated Attack
- Washington, D.C. – Abortion Activists Smash Pro-Life Sign, Hit Boy and His Dad With a Stick
- Texas – Pro-Life Advocate Brutally Assaulted for Telling Man “Jesus Loves You”