Trump signs order for Pentagon to curb transgender military service

 

President Trump on Friday ordered the Pentagon to drop plans to recruit transgender troops, halt their medical treatment and determine within six months whether those currently serving can remain in the military.

The president’s memorandum follows his series of tweets last month declaring transgender troops would no longer be allowed to serve in any capacity and is aimed at rolling back the Obama administration’s policy of open transgender service implemented last year for the Defense Department and Coast Guard, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security, a senior White House official said.

“In President Trump’s judgment, the previous administration failed to identify a sufficient basis to conclude that terminating the DOD and DHS long-standing policy and practice would not hinder military effectiveness or lethality, disrupt unit cohesion, tax military resources, etc.,” said the official, who briefed reporters on the memorandum.

The new personnel policy has already triggered a lawsuit by five transgender service members against Trump and top administration officials as well as outrage from Democrats and transgender advocates who have called it a “purge” of honorably serving troops for political reasons.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is required to implement Trump’s new transgender guidelines by March 23. Mattis and the Defense Department’s legal counsel had been briefed on the drafting of the memorandum in recent weeks, the White House official said.

“The Department of Defense has received formal guidance from the White House in reference to transgender personnel serving in the military,” Mattis spokeswoman Dana White said in a released statement. “More information will be forthcoming.”

Read more at: 

Follow me

Littlebytesnews

Founder and Editor at Littlebytesnews.com
Patricia is the founder and editor of Little Bytes News, a former elementary teacher, radio talk show host, political activist and political blogger. In 2012, Patricia was nominated one of “Circle of Moms” top 25 political bloggers.
Follow me
Help support independent media, our contributors and keep our server online.

Littlebytesnews

Patricia is the founder and editor of Little Bytes News, a former elementary teacher, radio talk show host, political activist and political blogger. In 2012, Patricia was nominated one of “Circle of Moms” top 25 political bloggers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.